Thing about the uke is this, it's seen as rather quirky, and also probably quite rare when compared to, say guitars. But certain comments from people really get my goat. Here are a few of my favourites (or is that least favourites??) in no particular order.
1. "THAT'S A SMALL GUITAR" - no, it's not a guitar, it's a ukulele, four strings.... Usually followed by "well it looks like a guitar"...... Arrrgggghhh! No it doesn't!!!
2. "IS THAT A TOY?" - closely related to item 1 above
3. Said to me when playing my traditional soprano shaped uke, NOT my banjolele, "IS THAT A BANJO?" - it looks absolutely nothing like a banjo!!! Also closely related to 1 above..
4. When they enquired how much my mainland was, "HOW MUCH??????", erm, yes, its a real musical instrument... They do get much more expensive too...
5. "HAH YOU ARE JUST LIKE GEORGE FORMBY / TINY TIM" - now whilst I have no passion for Tiny Tim, I am quite fond of George, but really, there are plenty of other players, new and old, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Joe Brown, Eddie Vedder, Loudon Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, Billy Corgan, Joe Strummer, Amanda Palmer (the list goes on)... When this is mentioned they glaze over... This comment obviously goes hand in hand with the other favourite "CAN YOU PLAY WHEN I'M CLEANING WINDOWS?"
6. Said to me by a ukulele player "IT'S ONLY A UKE, YOU DON'T NEED TO TUNE IT IT'S JUST FOR RHYTHM" erm... Jake Shimabukuro anyone?
7. Said to me by a guitar player, "UKULELE? NAH, WASTE OF A GOOD PRACTICE SESSION".... no comment...!
I'm sure readers have many others and would be interested to hear them in the comments section.
On the plus side the above comments are outweighed by the usual smiles and general interest I find is shown to you when you get a uke out at a gig!
- UKULELE REVIEWS
- UKULELE CHORD CHART and FRETBOARD PAGE
- UKULELE SONG TAB and CHORDS
- UKULELE CLUBS AND SOCIETIES
- UKULELE BEGINNERS TIPS
- UKULELE TUITION
- UKULELE BEGINNERS VIDEOS
- UKULELE BOOKS
- UKULELE FESTIVAL CALENDAR
- UKULELE BRANDS
- UKULELE STORES
- UKULELE SHOP
- UKULELE GLOSSARY
- CONTACT ME!
- UKULELE RANTS
- FAMOUS UKULELE PLAYERS
- GOT A UKULELE MERCH
Got A Ukulele will always be free to view - help support it!
If you enjoy this blog, donations are welcomed to allow me to invest more time in bringing you ukulele articles. Aside from the Google ads, I don't get paid to write this blog. Call it a labour of love! And, no, I don't get to keep the ukuleles that are loaned to to review...